Well, that was a close one!
A week ahead of this year’s upcoming Pollygrind Film Festival, which was to take place at the Cinemark Theater inside the Southpoint Casino here in Las Vegas, the venue decided to cancel the event because the films it screens are “softcore porn.” While films I’ve seen at Pollygrind can definitely push the envelope in the some of the most glorious ways… The films are in no way “softcore porn” and some, like my “If Only Tonight I Could Sleep” video, aren’t even sexual and/or violent. Not to mention that the Cinemark theater chain will still show movies like “Machete” and “Saw” and “Gone Girl” (which was amazing by the way)… Nope. This is just straight up, run-of-the-mill, CENSORSHIP. BUT… When it looked like the festival might have to be cancelled altogether due to the last minute bad news, the organizer (and my buddy) Chad Clinton Freeman got tons of support from the indie film community and within 24 hours managed to find a new and even better theater to show the films at… The Galaxy Green Valley Luxury Theater. Yes, the one with the cushy recliner seats that I’m gonna be sitting in from 2pm-Midnight on Thursday, October 16th watching some of the films I’ve scored on the big screen!
It was originally supposed to be 3 days, but this will be one long condensed schedule, which can be found on Pollygrind’s Facebook page. There will also be screenings taking place the following two days at the venues that were originally slated to have the after parties, Helltown and The End.
Now, on to the part you guys all want to know about… What things that I scored will be playing? Here’s the rundown:
- “The Gradations of Purgatory” (Directed by Doug Farra) – This is a short film that I shared with you all in a previous blog post. It’s a really cool, unique film in which a man in purgatory must make a decision that will affect his next reincarnated life.
- “If Only Tonight I Could Sleep” (Directed by Doug Farra) – My new music video! On the big screen! I can’t wait.
- “Paranormal Encounters: A Haunting In Rialto” (Directed by Connor Biddle) – A really cool paranormal web series, created by the same director who made my “Broken Circuits” music video… Speaking of which…
- “Broken Circuits” (Directed by Connor Biddle) – My previous music video, which has so far screened at 3 other film festivals, including FilmQuest where it was nominated for Best Music Video!
- “Ch05En” (Directed by Doug Farra) – A book trailer about superheroes that I did some music for that I’m really proud of. As a matter of fact, it’s the first track on my new music player back on the homepage of www.bydavidrosen.com
- “The Milkman” (Directed by Doug Farra) – Doug Farra keeps me busy with yet another short film that I’m just now finishing up the score on right now! It’s a great film and I think it will go over really well at the fest.
The films I scored are playing in the 4pm and 10pm blocks on Thursday, October 16th at the Galaxy Green Valley Luxury Theater, as well as at the Wild Eye Releasing Event at The End on Saturday, October 18th at 10:30pm. I also have a lot of friends with films in the festival, some of which I haven’t seen yet and I’m really excited to see, especially Alex Colonna’s “Black Mask.”
I hope to see a lot of you from Las Vegas at Pollygrind! I love this festival. It’s the one film event in the town I live in that feels like “my” film festival and I know that that’s kind of the idea. You can check out the Festival Promo Video HERE… And tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite. Independent things like this deserve to be supported, so please, show some support and come out for a great time!