Alright, quick little blog post for today because my to-do list for this week says “Make Blog Post” …
1) I totally forgot to post something about my trip to Sundance Composers Lab in LA last month. It was such a great time, I got to meet lots of cool people, fellow composers, and if you’ve been following my Facebook, you know also Thomas Newman & Clint Mansell (such cool people). What an experience. Very very cool. I learned a lot and it just further reinforced my love of making music and desire for this to be my long-term career.
2) My album. It’s coming along! It would be done by now if I wasn’t getting all these little composing jobs and stuff, but you know what, I’m gonna need money to launch the thing, so I might as well take all the work I can get, right? Plus I love doing it! How about a new little tidbit about the album? It’s not gonna be just one album. Blow your mind? Just you wait…
3) E3. Next week. Oh my god. I can’t freaking wait. The last time I went was 7 years ago (the year the Nintendo Wii was unveiled) and back then I wasn’t really totally serious about this career path. I basically went just to play games and maybe mention that I’m a composer to a few people. Now I consider myself to be a working composer, and you better believe that after 4 days at E3, I’m leaving with some contacts! And I’ll probably play a whole lot of games too (haha).
4) Las Vegas IndieMeet is this weekend. Aside from helping out with music for a couple friends of mine’s films, I’m also going to debut the video for “Lights In The Sky” off my upcoming album (I honestly don’t remember if I already told you all that I was making a video for that song… if I did, well cool, if I didn’t… cats out of the bag! Get excited!). I still have some editing to do on it, so I won’t be posting it for all of YOU to see for another couple weeks probably, but hopefully after showing it to some of my friends and peers, I’ll get some good feedback to make it better…
5) One of the films I scored recently called “Stranded” won 2nd place at the Mitten Movie Project Film Festival! Congrats to everyone who worked hard on the film. I’m looking forward to hopefully working with them again. And speaking of which…
6) The biggest news of all… My new composing reel! If you haven’t seen it yet, just head back to the homepage of this site… It’s right in the center of the screen! You seriously can’t miss it. And a clip of “Stranded” is included in the reel, so definitely be sure to check it out and see that and some of the other work I’ve done over the past few years. There’s some really great stuff in there and I’m really proud of the work displayed in the reel.
Thanks for reading. Wish me luck with all the stuff I’m doing over the next week. I’ll be back soon.
Wow… What a weekend.
Here is a list of things I did this:
1) Posted a new demo track called “Treasure 2” – Give it a listen if you haven’t already!
2) Cleaned up my projects folder and in the process exported SIXTY SEVEN… That’s right 67 tracks that I made between March 2012 (the last time I did a big project folder cleanup) and this weekend. And when I say 67 tracks… I mean 67 tracks that are at least worth exporting so I can listen to and decide if I want to do something with in the future… And this doesn’t include ANY tracks I made for various jobs, projects or my upcoming album…
3) And speaking of which… My album… I hit a MAJOR milestone. 24 tracks. All mixed and edited. Now I still need to let it marinate for a week or two and make sure there are no final changes I want to make to any of the songs, and if not, I still need to master it… But this thing is basically DONE! My first full-length instrumental album (and if you’re doing the math in your head… no… 24 tracks is not going to fit on one traditional album… so yea… you’ll find out soon what that means exactly). I couldn’t be more proud of this thing. It is by far the best thing I’ve ever done and will truly be a representation of what I am capable of as a musician and artist. That being said, I can’t just throw it out there, so it’s not going to come out until I’ve done my homework and done everything the right way to properly push this album and make sure it gets heard the way I believe it should.
4) I know not everyone takes the time to read this blog… But for those that do… Here’s a little special bit of information for you – “Lights In The Sky” will be the first video from the album! If you’ve been listening to the music on my site / ReverbNation, you’ll probably remember “Lights In The Sky” as the spooky, eerie piece with the multiple layers of echoing keyboards and rolling bassline… Well the song has been totally updated for the album and sounds better than ever and the video is really cool. I finished it this weekend, but I’m not quite ready to debut it. You’ll get to see it very soon however. Sometime in June.
5) I stared working on my new demo-reel this weekend! The reel on the front page of this site is from 2010 and I’ve done SO much more composing work in the last 3 years. The new reel is coming along great and as soon as I finish gathering clips from films and games and other projects that I’ve worked on, I’ll finish getting it together. I’m hoping to be able to post the new reel in June as well.
6) I did a ton of laundry. Tried to walk the dogs but it was too hot. Cleaned the kitchen. Went out with my mom twice for Mothers Day (she loved her gift). Talked to my friend TJ a lot. Listened to some other composer’s music… All this and still had time to get some sleep in.
And speaking of sleep… ZZZZzzzzzzzzz….
Quick little update for all of you out there reading this stuff…
I posted a new track on my page called “Treasure” over the weekend. It’s the first piece of music I’ve done all year that isn’t meant specifically for my album or for a project I’m working on. A “just because” track if you will. And I love it, I hope you’ll enjoy it too. I called it a “demo” in the description, but that’s just because as I’m going over and finishing all these songs for my album, I’m realizing that they’re all kind of “demos” until I actually finish them. So if you don’t see the word “demo” on one of my older tracks, just remember, it’s probably a demo… Because when I finish it I’ll probably end up adding more and doing all kinds of stuff to it. Or at least making it sound even better. I can’t help myself.
And speaking of my album… I’m half way done with mixing all the songs. Somehow I ended up with 24 tracks instead of 22, but I’m still aiming to pick the best 15 and save the rest for bonus tracks on my site. Or maybe 16, or 17… We’ll see. I’m getting back to mixing more of these songs today and as soon as I get done mixing them all, then I gotta go back over them one more time to make sure I’m 100% happy with how they all sound (and if not gotta go back and fix them up some more). I already know that I have a couple things to fix in “Dark Rain” and “Frozen” … Did I just give away the names of two of the songs you haven’t heard yet? Spoiler alert! Damn… Maybe I’ll post the tracklist in my next update… That would be fun, wouldn’t it?
Well aside from the album, which I’m really hoping to release in June, I’m working on some really exciting stuff. Some promotional things FOR the album, 3 really cool games, another short… And I should be getting copies of some of the shorts I recently worked on soon and hopefully I can share them with you guys. I’ll also start cutting a new reel really soon.
That’s it for now. If you haven’t listened to “Treasure” yet, give it a listen and let me know what you think. I always love your comments.
It’s been almost a month since my last blog post. It’s a good thing making regular blog posts wasn’t a New Years Resolution or something or I’d be screwed.
Anyway, I’m not gonna get into the personal stuff on here (not in this post anyway), but I just wanted to do a quick post to let you know how the album is coming along. It’s coming along. Awesomely. I am so freaking happy with it. I’ve mixed down 10 songs out of 22 that I’m picking from for the album. I’ll probably end up cutting the final album tracklist down to 15/16 tracks and keep the rest for bonus tracks for the website or possibly a future companion mini-album/EP. Not sure yet. What I am sure of is that these songs are sounding AMAZING. I’m waiting to do the final mastering on them until they’re all edited and mixed, but already the quality of these tracks is beyond what you’ve ever heard on my page, and for the tracks that make the album that you’ve heard before (“Inside Of Us All,” “1000 Years,” and “Broken Circuits” are definitely tracks you can look forward to hearing on the album), they’re going to sound almost completely new. Well they’re still the same songs of course, but they are mixed, edited, updated, and just over-all so much better than before. And the ones you haven’t heard… You’re all in for a treat… Some of these I almost can’t believe I really made haha. That’s a good sign.
I’ll be unveiling the album title and cover as soon as the songs are done. I’m also working on some other stuff to go along with the album including videos and other cool things. I’m really putting my everything into this album. If I’m known for one thing, this is what it should be. I”m really proud of it.
Well, back to work. Talk to you all soon.
Today is March 9th. What makes this day special? Well it’s my anniversary with my wonderful girlfriend (and official photographer) Gina Mizzoni. Happy Anniversary bear-head!
And on top of that I figured it’s a great day for me to give you a little update on what I’m working on. I’m slacking on the blog posts I know. But I have a bunch of them started, just not finished. So you better savor this time of being able to just kick back and listen to the tunes because you’re gonna be reading a whole bunch in the coming months. Get those eyeballs ready…
But for now, an update on my projects… What’s new with me? Well first of all, I have an album cover for my debut album! Not ready to reveal it (and the title) yet, but I’m REALLY happy with how it came out and I can’t wait to share it with you. SOON. I promise. As for the album itself, I think I’m pretty much there as far as the music is concerned. I have over 20 tracks started for it (probably closer to 30 to be honest) and I’m just deciding on what the best 15 are and I gotta then go back to all of them and edit, adjust, mess with, fix-up, tweak, play with, destroy, fix again, build up, and make sure I’m happy with them all. I’m going to start this weekend on trying to narrow down which ones to start doing all that fun stuff to. I think I have the track list pretty solid in my head.
I’m also about to finish up the 3rd short film I’ve scored this year. It’s really awesome how busy I’ve been this year. I’m hoping these shorts will be up online soon so I can share them with you all. The first 2 came out amazing, and so far so good with this 3rd. I really feel like I keep progressing every year with my skills and abilities.
On top of the films, I’m also currently scoring three games. Three shorts and three games. Pretty damn cool… The games are coming along great. They take longer than the films, so I wouldn’t expect to be able to share them with you guys anytime really soon, but they’re gonna be really awesome when they come out and I can’t wait for you to be able to play these games… Actually scratch that… I can’t wait for ME to be able to play these games! (I’ll let you guys play too…)
And one other project I’ve been working on is Project M. I don’t normally talk about my comedy-rap side projects on this site because, well, you know (haha), but Project M is gonna be a really fun, wild film about my group MC Randumb & Jewish Dave. I’ll also be scoring it like any other film, I just happen to also be writing, producing and starring in it. We’ll be filming it over the next few months and it will be pretty crazy. When it’s done I’ll finally be able to shave my beard, which will be really nice (Jewish Dave is a hairy dude…)
So that’s what I’m up to. I just posted “Waiting For Spring” on my music player, so be sure to check that out. I posted a few other tracks since the last blog update, so if you haven’t already, give them all a listen. I’ve been trying to post a wide variety of different stuff lately because I don’t want to post much more from my album until I’m ready to reveal the cover and title and track-list and videos… Did I say videos? Yep… music videos are coming soon too. Now THAT is gonna be cool…
– David Rosen
How is it already February 2013? Seems like it should be like… February 2012 or something, right?
If you’re not sure what I mean by that, don’t worry, neither do I. You see, this is what happens when I’ve got work to do but my head just isn’t in it. My brain goes all over the place. So I figured I might as well capture it in what is sure to be one of the odd-duck’s of my website’s blog posts.
Right now I’m working on music for 3 short films (and a few other projects but I’ll save mentioning them for later). One is a a cool little thriller/suspense film and I’m almost done with it. I’m going to be delivering my first complete draft of the music tonight/tomorrow morning. The director loved the first clip I sent him, so I’m sure that the finished thing is going to turn out great. It also plays right into my strengths so it’s coming along really easily and quickly. As soon as I finish writing this I’ll force myself to get back to that. If the creators of the short are OK with it I may also post a clip of the music on my site next week.
After that I’ve got to continue on the other 2 shorts, which are both animated. It’s really cool to finally get to work on not just one animated project (which is something I’ve always wanted to do), but two! One of them is a really cool, serious, dark western, the other is a funny space comedy. The western is almost done and coming along great. The other one I’ve only just started, but I have plenty of time to get finished. That will probably be my main focus next week, and I’ll try to finish the other 2 this week.
Aside from those, I’m also working on story ideas for Project M, which is a movie that focuses on one of my comedy-rap side projects. I don’t really mention that stuff too much on this site because I try to separate serious Dave from ridiculous Dave, but it is going to be a wild, fun project, with an original score by me, so you’ll definitely hear more about it gets closer to completion.
I also need to write a new blog post… WHICH I JUST DID… Is your mind as blown as mine is right now?
More news about my upcoming album soon. Well a little news right now: I think every song for it is at least started. Now I just need to reign it all in and start finishing it. The album will be around 15 tracks (from the 30 or so that I created for it). It’s more electronic than I ever imagined it being, but still mixes all of my influences from new-age to film score to industrial to alternative rock and hip-hop. But I think you’d find it in the electronic music bin at your local Tower Records… Those don’t exist anymore do they? Oh well. You’ll find it on my website, and that’s what counts.
Back to work.
– David Rosen
Alright so my girlfriend is trying to push me to start posting blogs on here. I told her that I know and I plan on starting to post blogs in the near future, but that I’m just too busy with various projects right now (including 2 animated shorts, 2 games, and my instrumental album, as well as a couple other things… but that’s another story for later). Well she’s still going on about it so you know what, here’s a damn blog post!
I’m going to be posting about all kinds of things on this blog. Not just news about my music and projects, but also about things that interest me. I’m planning on writing a series of tributes to classic albums that influenced my music tastes and styles, Top 10 lists of my favorite stuff, updates on what I’ve been watching/playing/listening to, stuff about my various non-music related adventures and various other topics too. Maybe even more posts about how my girlfriend won’t stop bothering me to update my blog…
You can see her website at http://www.ginamizzoni.com by the way. She’s my official photographer, and you’ll hear a piece of my music on her homepage. She does great photography work AND is a wonderful writer. She’s also a great girlfriend. I hope she likes this blog post.
On that note I think I’m gonna see Zero Dark Thirty today… Then back to work on these project I’m composing music for… Then probably a whole bunch of sleep. Yea… That sounds pretty awesome.
Oh one more thing… Go Puppy Bowl!!!
– David Rosen
Welcome to my new website. It’s been a long time coming and I put a lot of work into this site. Now that I’m set up through WordPress, it’s going to be a lot easier to keep updated. I’ll be adding samples of my music, news about projects I’m working on, and all kinds of other information about what I’m doing. I’ll also blog once in a while to let you know what I’m into and what I’ve been up to. First up? Finishing my album and my new 2013 Demo Reel. I’ll be unveiling the album tracklist and artwork within the next month and then I’m aiming to have the 2013 Demo Reel up by March. The album should follow towards the end of March if all goes well. I really can’t wait to share my first full length album of completely original instrumental music with you all.
In the meantime, look around the site, listen to the music, post a comment, and subscribe to the updates. There will be plenty more coming soon!
– David Rosen